|BANGUED QUICK FACTS|
|Mayor:||DOMINIC B. VALERA|
|Vice Mayor:||ALLAN P. SEARES|
|Land Area (in Hectares):||10,570|
|No. of Registered Voters**:||25,250|
|No. of Barangays:||31|
History and Government
In 1598, the place now known as Bangued was occupied by the first Spanish-Iloco forces who established a garrison to protect the Spanish missionaries from headhunters who frequently pillaged the settlement. The primary mission of the Spaniards was to christianize the natives and to locate the goldmines.
Historical records say that the word "Bangued" was an evolution of the word "Bangan" or roadblocks or blockades. Old people especially in the municipalites outside Bangued pronounce the word Bangued as Banged.
In 1692, Bangued was made an independent mission territory by the Augustinians under Pader Columbo. Earlier in 1615, Father Juan Pareja organized Bangued as a mission center and baptized 3,000 Tingguians with the help of Don Manuel Domaoal who was their chief. The modern-day Bangued was formally organized in 1704 until it was decided to become the capital town of Abra in 1863.
The town fiesta of Bangued used to be celebrated every February. It was after the independence of the Philippines in 1946 when, as a gesture of nationalism, the newly installed local government of Bangued, through the leadership of the late Beato Alberto resolved to move the town fiesta to February 23rd. Even the Roman Catholic Church of Bangued whose patron saint is St. James the Greater and whose feastday falls on July 25, also observed February 23rd in honor of the good saint.
Before World War II, the town of Bangued was once a sprawling community of several sitios known then as Balliling, Linasin, Consiliman, Lallaud (Camposanto), Gunggo-ngugong, Sinapangan, Barikir and Baraca. Almost all the Spanish homes were razed to the ground during the March 10, 1945 massive bombing of Bangued by the Allied Forces.
The town of Bangued long existed before it was formally inaugurated to coincide with the feast day of Saint James the Greater on July 25 in the year 1861.
There was no road that connected the town of Narvacan, Ilocos Sur with that of Bangued. It was the Abra River tributary that provided the principal means of transportation by bamboo rafts (balsa) from Caoayan, Ilocos Sur and from Banaoang, Ilocos Sur going upriver propelled by bamboo poles (tekkan) and oars (gaud). Rivermen or palmeros from different Ilocos towns settled for good in the towns of Bangued, La Paz, Lagangilang, Dolores and Tayum.
First local officials of Bangued during the Spanish Regime were Don Eulalio Villamor, Don Juan Paredes and Don Juan Valera. During the American Regime those who became Alcaldes Mayores were Don Lucas Ferraren, Don Juan Ferraren, Don Mariano Baula, Don Santos Valera, Dr. Maximo Blanco, Don Esteban Valera, Don Longino Bersamin and Don Anselmo Bringas. At the outbreak of the second world war in 1938, the mayor was Don Longino Bersamin who continued to be mayor until 1946. The administration of Don Bersamin was cut short at the middle when Agapito Gardoque became mayor during the Japanese Occupation. At present, the municipal mayor is Ramon Purugganan who succeeded Luis Bersamin who is now the incumbent Vice Governor of Abra.
Bangued has 31 barangays as follows: Agtangao, Angad, Banacao, Bangbangar, Cabuloan, Calaba, Calot/Tablac, Cosili West, Cosili East, Dangdangla, Lingtan, Lipcan, Lubong, Macarcarmay, Macray, Maoay, Malita, Palao, Patucannay, Sagap, San Antonio, Santa Rosa, Sao-atan, Sappaac, Zone 1, Zone 2, Zone 3, Zone 4, Zone 5, Zone 6 and Zone 7. Barangays Zones 1-7 constitute the Poblacion and are the only urban barangays of the municipality.
|7) Tablac (Calot)||1,408|
|8) Cosili West (Buaya)||1,175|
|9) Cosili East (Proper)||957|
|21) San Antonio||913|
|22) Santa Rosa||1,784|
|25) Zone 2 Pob. (Consiliman)||1,325|
|26) Zone 3 Pob. (Lalaud)||1,622|
|27) Zone 4 Pob. (Town Proper)||1,040|
|28) Zone 5 Pob. (Bo. Barikir)||2,277|
|29) Zone 6 Pob. (Sinapangan)||1,789|
|30) Zone 7 Pob. (Baliling)||2,721|
|31) Zone 1 Pob. (Nalasin)||2,017|
* - 2010 NSO Census of Population
Bangued is at the western portion of the province of Abra, about 408 kms. north of Manila. It is bounded on the north by the municipalities of Danglas and La Paz, on the east by the municipalities of Tayum and Peñarrubia, on the west by the municipality of Langiden and the province of Ilocos Norte and on the south by the municipalities of San Isidro and Pidigan.
Bangued is generally mountainous at the northern and southern portions with elevations ranging from 60 to 1,000 meters above sea level. Slope inclination of hills and mountains in the northern side is 30% opposite the 15% inclination at the southern portion. At the mid-section of the municipality, it is predominantly flat and rolling with an average elevation of 45 meters above sea level.
The prevailing climate is characterized by two pronounced seasons, dry from October to April and wet during the remaining months. The peak of annual mean rainfall occurs within the month of August at 680 mm. from an average of 274 mm. during the remaining months. Typhoons, which usually occur during the month of August, regularly pass through the municipality causing the relatively high mean rainfall.
With Bangued's total land area of 10,570 hectares or about 2.66% of the total provincial land area, 86.7% of which is classified as alienable and disposable with the remaining 13.3% classified under other categories.
The municipality's forest land is 1,405.5 has. Total forested area is 384.5 has. of which 57 has. is declared as forest reserve/national parks. The remaining 1,000 has. are marginal and totally denuded areas.
The municipality has 2 major rivers, the Sinalang and Abra Rivers, which provide for the fish supply of the municipality complemented by privately-owned fish ponds and irrigated ricefields used as fish culture ponds.
Metal minerals are not present in the municipality. However, there is an abundance of limestone deposits in different locations. Gravel and sand are also available along the banks of the Abra River.
The inhabitants of Bangued who are predominantly Ilocano, are 35,450 in number as per census in 1995. This population registered an increase of 1,266 persons from the 34,184 population of censal year 1990. The increase has an equivalent annual average growth rate of 0.73%, much lower than the provincial annual average growth rate of 1.19% for the same period. Population density is relatively low at 335 persons per square kilometer.
The municipality's crude birth rate at the end of 1996 is 29.4 births per 1,000 population. Crude death rate and infant mortality rate are 8.6 deaths per 1,000 population and 19 infant deaths per 1,000 livebirths, respectively. Malnutrition among the pre-schoolers in the last quarter of 1995 is 15.96%, broken down as follows: 8.17% for the moderate and 7.77% for the severe.
The economy of the municipality is heavily dependent on agriculture followed by trade and industry. The total land area devoted to agriculture is 2,774.7 has. or approximately 44.85% of the total municipal land area. The major food crops being produced include palay, which is the main produce, corn, vegetables, legumes, root crops, tobacco, sugarcane and coconut.
Trading and manufacturing as a common preoccupation of the populace in the central business district is dominated by Chinese businessmen.
The total average family income of the municipality from all sources is higher than the provincial average of Php 30,576 per annum considering its potential advantage as the capital town and central business district and as the institutional center of the province providing the widest array of employment or income generating opportunities. However, in terms of poverty incidence, majority of the households are still living below the poverty line especially in the remote and depressed barangays.
Tourist Attraction and Place of Interest
- Victoria National Park
By: DILG-CAR, Copyright 1999
Vol. I - Local Government Units