History and Government
The inhabitants of the municipality of Lacub are predominantly Tinguians coming from three tribes, namely: Mabacas, Adasens and the Binongans. The Binongans originated from Abualan, San Juan, Abra. The Mabacas came from Lubuagan, Kalinga. The Adasens were from Tineg, Abra and the western part of Apayao.
The first settlement in the area was precluded by fierce fighting between the Iballatocs or Alzados and the Adasens. The latter came out victorious in the battle and occupied the area which they first called Adasen territory that included the eastern part of Apayao and the Tineg district.
The dispute between the two tribal groups worsened as the Alzados tried hard to force the Adasens westward until they succeeded in capturing more than half of the territory. The Iballatocs took position at Bacag, now the largest barangay of Lacub. The Iballatocs named the territory Mabaca in honor of their chieftain Mabaca at the time of the conquest. Years later, it was named Bacag.
Highly esteemed among the capitans of the locality during the Spanish Regime was Capitan Apo Goyang who contributed much to peace and order. Other great leaders of Lacub were Capitan Legnasen, Capitan Saboy and Capitan Cayyong.
When Lacub became a rancheria, those who became presidents were: Balani, Balucas, Alunday, Gaboy, Dalingay, Danao, Ortega, Bawalan, Lumidao, Aggoy, Bersamina and Ferraren.
The past to present chief executives of the municipality are: during the Spanish Regime, Balani, Balucas and Baoalan; during the American Occupation, Loreto Bersamina, Idao Ferraren, Calumnag Daodaoen, Panso Quinto, Agustin Gaboy (1945), Simeon Balmaceda (1945), and Quintin Begnalen (1946); after the Liberation, Calummag Romualdo Daodaoen (1947), Fernando Ortega (1948-1951), Patricio Bernal (1952-1953), Severino Bersamina (1953-1955), Filomeno Bakli (1955-1957), Mariano Viste (1957-1958), Severino Bersamina (1959-1968), Julia Dugayen (1968-1971), Severino Bersamina (1972-1980), Paulino Ferraren (1980-1986), Victorino Baroña (OIC, 1987 and elected mayor, 1988-1992), Adriano Valera (1992-1995) and Leo Baroña (1995 to present).
Lacub became a regular municipality in 1948. At present, it has 6 barangays as follows: Bacag, Buneg, Guinginabang, Lan-ag, Pacoc/Talampac and Poblacion.
Lacub with its moderately steep terrain ascending gradually to the north forming a series of small valleys and disconnected hills in the middle and western sections is bounded on the north by the municipality of Tineg, on the south by the municipalities of Malibcong and Licuan-Baay, on the east by the provinces of Kalinga and Apayao and on the west by the municipalities of San Juan and Lagangilang.
Predominantly inhabited by Tinguians of the tribes Mabacas, Adasens and Binongans, Lacub has a population of 2,202, a total number of household of 444, an average household size of 4.96 and a population growth rate of -1.02% covering the year 1990-1995. Of the municipality's 6 barangays, Poblacion has the highest number of population and number of households with 653 and 120, respectively. The least barangay in terms of population and number of households is Bacag with 185 and 35, respectively.
Being an agricultural area, rice is the major crop produced by the municipality. Farmers practice two croppings, however, only 30% are able to plant during the second cropping. The remaining 70% are unable to have a second cropping season due to irrigation problems. The first crop is called "ulitay" while the second cropping is called "sawali". In swidden farms or "uma", upland rice varieties generally known as "langpadan" are also being grown from April to November.
In other areas, diverse or multiple cropping called "lapog" is done. Crop rotation includes corn, squash, beans, sugarcane, eggplants, onions, "cardis" (a kind of lentil or green pea) and kamoteng kahoy. Crop diversification in lapogs is high which has a combination ranging from 3 to 10 crops.
Other than agriculture, the economic activities in the municipality include small scale mining and bamboocraft and rattancraft. Small scale mining is practiced in two ways: gold panning (agsayo) and lode mining (ag-osok). Between the two, lode mining is prevalently practiced due to higher income derived therefrom than gold panning.
The Municipality of Lacub is politically subdivided into 6 Barangays, namely: