History and Government
During the period 1866 to 1885, the Poblacion of San Isidro today was called Cagutungan. Cagutungan was then a part of barangay Villavieja in the municipality of Pilar. Cagutungan is an Ilocano term for “rough stone” which was aplenty in barangay Tangbao. In the year 1884, Cagutungan became a part of Pueblo de Lumaba, and later on, of Pilar in 1885 up to 1902. In 1903, Villavieja and Pilar were fused, forming Villa Pilar. Villa Pilar came to be known simply as Pilar with Cagutungan as its seat of government. Among those who became presidents of Pilar from Cagutungan at the time were Juan Benauro and Ramon Valera.
On April 10, 1950, Cagutungan became the municipality of San Isidro. This was through a bill authored by Senator Quintin Paredes which was enacted into law. The choice of San Isidro as its name was in fond memory of Senator Quintin Paredes’ son Isidro who died a hero during World War II in Europe.
The first mayor of San Isidro when it became a municipality in 1950 was Jose Millan, a Spanish mestizo who was a native of the area. In his teens, Millan showed exemplary political leadership which caught the attention and confidence of Senator Paredes. It is through the insistent request of Millan that the bill creating the municipality was initiated and sponsored by the good senator.
Jose Millan was succeeded by Col. Alfredo Agaloos and in turn was succeeded in 1966 by Ernesto Pacsa. At present, the municipal mayor is Elizalde Pacsa.
San Isidro is presently subdivided into 9 barangays, namely: Cabayugan, Dalimag, Langbaban, Manayday, Olo, Pantoc, Poblacion, San Marcial and Tangbao.
San Isidro is located on the southeastern portion of Abra and is 19 kilometers away the capital town of Bangued. It is bounded on the north by the municipality of Bangued, on the west by the municipality of Pidigan and partly by the Province of Ilocos Sur, on the south by the municipality of Pilar and on the east by the municipality of Villaviciosa. Its map has a shape similar to that of a horse's head. San Isidro has a total land area of 4,769.1587 has. of which 68% is hilly, 18% mountainous and 14% plain. Among its 9 barangays, San Marcial has the biggest land area with 1,703.9283 has. while Langbaban has the smallest with 165.2494 has. San Isidro's land use is classified as: residential - 36.052 has., agricultural - 2,973.716 has., institutional - 11.1801 has. and open space - 1,748.235 has. Forest area is 447.5 has. of the total municipal land area.
Climate in the municipality belongs to Type I of climate classification characterized by two distinct pronounced seasons - the dry and the wet seasons. Dry season comes on the latter part of November up to the month of April with the wet season occuring during the rest of the year.
Based on the 1995 Census of Population, San Isidro has a total population of 3,842 with a total number of households of 739 with an average household size of 5.19 and a population growth rate of 0.49% covering the year 1990-1995. Of the total population, 98% are Roman Catholics with the remaining 2% belonging to other religious affiliations. The major dialects spoken are Ilocano and Itneg.
Of the municipality's total land area of 4,769.1587 has., agricultural land area is 2,973.716 has. or 62.35%. This makes the municipality agricultural with farming as its main source of livelihood. The main crops are palay and tobacco. Palay is the crop during the rainy months and tobacco during the dry months.
Tourist Attractions and Places of Interest