History and Government
San Quintin was known to the outside civilization for the first time in 1626 through the mission report of Fr. Juan Pareja who organized several missions in Abra. Talamey, the early name of San Quintin, and the adjacent village Palang were earlier known to have always been in continuous warfare with the villages of Tayong (now Tayum) and Bukaw (now Dolores). This impression changed only when in 1820, French surgeon Paul de le Generiere made a stop-over in Palang on his visit to Abra in 1820, describing the settlement as peaceful and simple.
The first record on the Christianization of Talamey was in 1827 when Fr. Bernardo Lago received pagan-converts. Talamey became a mission station and later became a pueblo in 1868 with the name San Quintin. However, it was a part of Pidigan and it was only in 1884 that it was officially separated.
As a newly separated pueblo, San Quintin was ruled by the Spaniards until the appoinment of Don Hilario Pira in 1887 when San Quintin was fully considered to have its own goverment and six barangays.
San Quintin was created a town during the American Occupation under the Provincial Law or Act of February 6, 1901. At the time, Tinguian communities were turned into towns while the Christian communities were turned into municipalities.
Those who became leaders of the municipality during the Spanish Regime (1808-1899) were: Ayong or Hilario Pira, Guillermo Hernandez, Catalino Llaneza, Jose Senen, Sabino Diaz, Jose Cordoncillo, Juan Fariñas, Agapito Garde and Honorable Ballesta. During the American Occupation the leaders were: Jose Cordoncillo (1900-1903), Petronilo Fariñas (1904-1905), Pastor Aragon (1906-1907), Leopoldo Senen (1908-1909), Isidro Perez (1910-1911), Gallardo Llaneza (1912-1913), Jose Cordoncillo (1914-1916), Juan Senen (1917-1919), Jose Rubio (1920-1922), Hilario Diaz (1923-1925), Ignacio Malana (1926-1928), Martin Senen (1929-1934), Luis Fariñas (1935-1937), Jose Reyes (1938-1940), Hilario Diaz (1945), Jose Senen (1945) and Jose Taccadan (1946). After the liberation, the mayors were: Jose Senen (1947), Nicasio Aznar (1948-1951), Gaspar Aragon (1952-1955), Nicasio Aznar (1956-1963), Melecio Cardenas (1964-1967), Severiano Aznar (1968), Estanislao Martinez (1968-1971), Solomon Senen (1972-1980), Prospero Rubio, Sr. (1980-1981), Aquilino Sumalnap (1981-1986), Prospero Rubio, Sr. (1987), Carmen Diaz (1987-1988) and Maximino Ganoot (1988-1992). From 1992 to the present, the municipal mayor is Jovito Diaz.
At present, San Quintin is politically subdivided into 6 barangays, namely: Labaan, Palang, Pantoc, Poblacion, Tangadan and Villa Mercedes.
San Quintin is Abra’s frontier in the west rugged mountain ranges and hills serving as natural barriers to one’s entry to the province. It is bounded on the north by the entry of forest land of the municipality of Langiden, on the east by the agricultural land of Pidigan and on the south by the forest of the province of Ilocos Sur. It is 24 kilometers going to the capital town of Bangued, 20 kilometers to Narvacan, Ilocos Sur and 391 kilometers by bus to Manila. It has total land area of 6,658.7837 has. comprising its six barangays. Approximately 3/4 of the town’s land is mountainous with the the highest point at 528 meters above sea level, located at Poblacion, Labaan, Pantoc and Villa Mercedes. The soil types of the municipality are bouang, loam and rough stony land. Among the barangays, Palang has the largest land area with 2,693.4421 has. while Poblacion is the smallest with 212.2422 has.
Based on 1995 Census of Population, San Quintin has a population of 4,999, a total number of households of 931 with an average household size of 5.37 and a population growth rate of 2.89% based on the year 1990-1995. Among the barangays, Tangadan has the most number of population and the most number of households with 1,238 and 239 respectively. Pantoc has the least population and number of households with 588 and 104, respectively. By mother tongue, San Quintin is predominantly Ilocano speaking with 4,853 or 97% of the total household population of 4,999. Tinguian speaking population comprises 2% while other tongues comprise the remaining 1%.
Tourist Attractions and Places of Interest