History and Government
Prior to its creation as an independent municipality, Tineg was composed of six districts namely: Agsimao, Alaoa, Anayan, Lanec, Caganayan and Naglibacan. Caganayan was formerly attached to the municipality of Lagayan while the rest were parts of the municipality of San Juan. Tineg became an independent municipality in 1958 with Sulyan Layugan and Vidal Baoalan as the first elected municipal mayor and vice mayor, respectively. At present, Tineg is composed of ten barangays, namely: Agsimao, Alaoa, Anayan, Apao, Belaat, Caganayan, Cogon, Lanec, Lapat-Balantay and Naglibacan.
The municipality's chief executives were: Sulyan Layugan (1958-1964), Teodoro Gayban (1964-1969), Pedro Benwaren (1969-1976), Agripino Bersalona (1977-1978), Alfredo Coyupan (1978-1980), Pio Crisologo (1980-1981), Carmelo Gayban (1981-1986) and Pedro Benwaren. At present, the municipal mayor is Clarence Benwaren.
Tineg is located on the northernmost part of Abra. It is bounded on the northeast by the province of Apayao, on the north by the province of Ilocos Norte and on the south by the municipalities of Lagayan, San Juan, Lagangilang and Lacub.
The municipality has a total land area of 83,223 hectares representing 20% of Abra’s aggregate land area. The terrain is rugged surrounded by mountains with elevations ranging from 480 meters to 1,504 meters above sea level. The average elevation is 850 meters above sea level. Due to the municipality’s elevation and mountain location, the existing prevalent climate are: dry season from April to May, and wet season for the rest of the year. Temperature is in the cool bracket and humidity is generally high. Tineg is also crisscrossed by bodies of water. Among them are the major rivers, the Tineg, Binongan and Anayan Rivers. These three rivers are the irrigation and fish sources of the Tineg residents.
Tineg's land area is classified as follows: agricultural land - 7,833 has., forestland - 43,674 has., open/pasture land - 29,100 has., residential - 113 has., institutional - 7.3 has. and the rest (2,495.7 has.), unclassified. The municipality's forest, covering 52.49% of the total municipal land area, is denuded as a result of logging, forest fires and kaingins. Still it has 43,000 has. of virgin forests left serving as watershed. Aside from being a watershed, the forest is also rich in wildlife and minor forest products such as rattan and bamboo.
Mineral resources in the municipality are rich but largely undeveloped or untouched. It was recorded that there are deposits of gold, silver, limestones and other minerals.
Tineg is generally populated by Tinguians of Banao, Binongan, Mabaca and Adasen tribes. However, there are some Ilocano families who settled in the different areas but Adasen is the dominant tribe. Adasen is the principal dialect with Ilocano as the next major dialect.
As of the 1995 Population Census, the municipality has a total population of 4,312 with a total number of 659 households with an average household size of 6.54. Population growth rate is 6.59% based on the year 1990-1995.
Literacy rate of the total population 10 years old and over is 74.41% while the illiteracy rate is 25.59%.
The municipality's populace is predominantly Roman Catholic comprising 99.7% of the total population. The remaining 0.3% belongs to other religious affiliations. The Roman Catholic Church established two chapels, one in Caganayan and one in Agsimao.
Majority of the people of Tineg engage in agriculture or agriculture related business. Others engage in the practice of their profession, skilled labor, fishing and other regular activities. With agriculture as the main source of livelihood, idle lands are converted into agricultural lands. Most of the farmers own their land with only a few being considered as landless tenants. Palay and corn are the main crops palay having two cropping seasons. First cropping usually starts after the initial rains occurred usually in the months of June and July. The second cropping starts in the months of November and December. Corn and other crops such as vegetables, sugarcane and pineapple are planted in kaingin areas.
Aside from planting crops, livestock raising is also another source of income. Livestocks being raised include carabao, cattle, horse, swine, dogs and poultry. Carabaos are usually used as beast of burden in farming while other animals are usually sold or exchanged for goods or services or are butchered during special occasions and celebrations.
Tourist Attraction and Place of Interest