History and Government
The town of Kabugao is the oldest among the seven municipalities of the province of Apayao. It was organized into a township as early as the year 1913 under the American colonial rule in the country.
Some historians, anthropologists, and missionaries wrote that the town was established variously in 1913, 1914, 1915 and in 1916. However, history records that the “Battle of Waga” in 1913 was the turning point of the head-taking activities in Apayao and the beginning of peace in the area. At that time, the “Isnags” were still nomadic and hostile and opposed to the military rule in the region. The battle finally convinced the natives that their spears were no match to the thunder sticks of the soldiers. To be exact, the municipal district of Kabugao was formally created in 1914 when Lt. Governor Blas Villamor of the American Government appointed Manuel Rugrug as the first president of Kabugao.
Pursuant to the creation of Mountain Province under Act No. 1876 on August 18, 1908, Kabugao became the sub-provincial capital of the sub-province of Apayao in 1916. On June 25, 1963, Kabugao became a regular municipality under Executive Order No. 42 issued by President Diosdado Macapagal during his visit to the municipality.
By virtue of Republic Act No. 7878 enacted on February 14, 1995, Kabugao became the capital of the new province of Apayao.
Manuel Rugrug, from Bulu, was appointed by the American Military Government as president of Kabugao from 1914 to January 10, 1933. Vicente Dawan from Kagawan took over the leadership from January 11, 1933 to March 21, 1934 and Conrado Batlong from Mabagta became the head of the government from March 30, 1934 to June 1947. Another from Bulu under the name of Ramon Basan was the town mayor from July 1947 to June 1950. Like Conrado Batlong, Ducusin Awisi who is also from Magabta was appointed as the municipal district mayor upon the resignation of his predecessor. Rufino Ducrao served as the mayor from January 1957 to December 31, 1963 succeeded by Jose Inciso from January 1957 to September 1963 and from January 1964 to December 31, 1967 is Jose Agcon. Data for the succeeding mayors from 1968 to 1988 is not available but Martin Liwang became the municipal mayor by operation of law from September 1989 to June 1992. The incumbent mayor is Dionisio Agudelo who is serving his third term, expiring on the year 2001. He was first elected in 1992, re-elected in 1995 and in 1998.
The capital town is subdivided into twenty-one barangays. The barangays composing the municipality are: Badduat, Baliwanan, Bulu, Cabetayan, Dagara, Dibagat, Karagawan, Kumao, Laco, Lenneng, Lucab, Luttuacan, Madatag, Madduang, Magabta, Maragat, Musimut, Nagbalayan, Poblacion, Tuyangan and Waga.
Kabugao is located in the center of the province. It has an approximate total land area of 839 square kilometers. This is about 21.10 percent of the land area of the province that is landlocked by the municipalities of Luna and Pudtol on the north, Conner on the south, Flora and the province of Cagayan on the east, and Calanasan and the province of Abra on the west, or with a latitude of 18 degrees 1.5 minutes north and longitude of 121 degree 11 minutes east.
The locality is covered with dense woodlands forested with virgin stands along its perimeter. There are numerous streams and brooks tumbling down from the slopes of mountains especially at the southern perimeters of the place. Many kinds of wildlife are still found in the forests such as deer, wild pig, wild chickens, monkeys, squirrels, various kinds of birds and many more.
Kabugao is of Type III climate. This is generally characterized by a long wet season and a short dry season. The rainy seasons usually starts from July and ends in February; while the dry season covers the months of March to May. The temperature in the locality varies directly with seasons. April and May are the hottest months while the month of December is the coldest.
The native inhabitants of the locality are the “Isnegs” consisting of ninety five percent (95%) of the total population. The remaining five percent (5%) consists of the Ilocanos, Igorots, Tagalogs and other ethnic groups.
The 1995 total population was recorded at 12,710 compared to the 1990 population count of 11,998 registering a marked increase of 2.57% per year.
Being a mountainous area, its main source of livelihood is upland framing. Rice is the principal product while corn and root crops are the secondary crops.
Other industries present in the municipality are rattan craft and bolo making.
Tourist Attractions and Places of Interest