History and Government
The municipality of Luna came into legal existence by virtue of Executive Order No. 200 dated September 6, 1929 issued by the late American Governor General Dwight F. Davis upon the petition of the early settlers from the Ilocos Region to then Deputy Governor Claro Lizardo I of the province of Apayao who endorsed this to the Provincial Board of Mountain Province for recommendation to the Governor General of the Philippine Islands, who had the authority to approve its creation. Pursuant to the said Order, the newly created municipal district had as its first name “Macatel”, which means in the Ibanag dialect “itchy water”.
Luna was formerly a territory of the old municipal district of Tawit together with the present day municipalities of Luna, Flora, Sta. Marcela and Pudtol and some part of Allacapan and Lasam in the province of Cagayan. The seat of government then was at Barrio Tawit in Pudtol.
Through Executive Order No. 200, the barrios of Malunog, Tumog, Macatel, San Isidro, Bubbon and Turatog were separated from the municipal district of Tawit to comprise the new municipal district of Luna. The municipal districts of Tawit and Luna existed until the early thirties. Tawit was later abandoned as a municipal district due to transportation difficulties in reaching the place. The municipal district of Luna then started representing Tawit which eventually was made part of its territory.
Luna as it is now called got its name in honor of the late Filipino hero, General Antonio Luna, one of the greatest Ilocano patriots. It was formerly a barrio of the erstwhile municipality of Tawit, a neighboring town of Kabugao.
Under Act No. 1876, the succession of mayors were Jose Aloag, Jacinto Bautista, Odon Pacis Jr., and William Pacray. When R.A 4695 was issued, the mayors in succession were Claro Bautista, Emilio Pulido Sr., Dr. George Barga and Ranulfo Bautista who served as the Officer-in-charge for two months in 1986. In 1992, Bienvenido Verzola Jr. was elected as mayor for two consecutive terms. The present mayor-elect is Betty Verzola, wife of the former mayor, whose term will expire in 2001.
Luna is divided into 22 barangays namely: Bacsay, Cagandungan, Calabigan, Cangisitan, Capagaypayan, Dagupan, Lappa, Luyon, Marag, Poblacion, Quirino, Salvacion, San Francisco, San Gregorio, San Isidro Norte, San Isidro Sur, San Sebastian, Santa Lina, Shalom, Tumog, Turod and Zumigui.
Luna has an area of 84,9112.92 hectares and is geographically situated in the northern part of the province of Apayao. It is approximately 1,475 kilometers direct distance from Pamplona, Cagayan in the northwest. It is bounded by the Abulug River on the south, by the provincial boundary on the north, and by the unknown creeks below the steep side of Cordillera on the west.
The municipality has a total population of 12,126 and a total of 2,199 households as of September 1, 1995. Of the total population, there are more males than females and 90% are Ilocanos, 7% are Ibanags and the remaining 3% are Tagalogs. Literacy rate is a high 94.44%.
Ilocano is the major dialect spoken by the people of Luna while English is the most popular language.
Roman Catholic tops all the religious sects in the municipality. Others are Aglipayan, Protestants, Iglesia ni Cristo and other religious sects and affiliations.
Agriculture is the primary source of livelihood of the populace. Most of them have their own land to till and only a few are non-agricultural workers. The municipality’s principal products are rice and corn.
Tourist Attractions and Places of Interest