|LAGAWE QUICK FACTS|
|Mayor:||MARTIN L. HABAWEL, JR.
|Vice Mayor:||CEASARIO D. CABBIGAT|
|Land Area (in Hectares):||20,891|
|No. of Registered Voters**:||9,315|
|Income Class:||4TH CLASS|
|No. of Barangays:||20|
History and Government
Long, long ago there was a hunter from Kay-ang by the name of Wigan. Wigan according to the “baki” chant, had roamed almost all the high mountains with his dogs chasing wild games far and wide. To increase his hunt, Wigan placed his “bango” in the river's narrowest outlet from a valley across Kay-ang. The bango was placed nicely and fittingly between two opposite high cliffs blocking the water from flowing and forming a lake.
When Wigan decided to move to Kiyangan, he went to the river and removed his bango. All the water that flooded the valley delineated the land and the river. The separation of the land from the river and the appearance of the valley-land bare of vegetation was called “Nagawi”.
Since then, the place had been called “Nagawi” until the Spaniards came and re-wrote and spelled it “Lagawi”. The spelling was again changed at the latter part of the Spanish Regime and the early American Rule by the native's replacing “i” with “e”. Since then, the place was called “Lagawe”, with the "we" sounding “weh”.
With the cessation of Ifugao from Nueva Vizcaya in 1889, Burnay (now Lagawe) was one of the districts under the new Politico-Military Commandancia of Ifugao. The other districts were Banaue, Mayoyao and Quiangan. Quiangan acted as the seat of government.
During the American Regime, upon instruction of the US President on April 7, 1900, the Taft Commission reorganized the Commandancias in the Cordillera into one province - Montañosa with Bontoc as the capital and Ifugao as one of its sub-provinces. The municipalities of Banaue, Burnay, Hungduan, Kiangan, and Mayoyao composed the Ifugao sub-province. Kiangan was the seat of government with Lt. Jefferson Gallman as the first American governor.
In 1910, Governor Gallman moved the seat of government from Kiangan to Burnay to centralize his administration and supervision of the other municipalities and places in Ifugao. The first appointee as president of Lagawe was Kimmayong Indopia who served from 1921-1930. Indopia was succeeded by Baccay Dulinayan in 1930. Dulinayan was appointed by Luis Pawid, then the deputy governor of Ifugao. Dulinayan was later succeeded by Melchor Buyawe as the third president of Burnay from 1933-1936.
In 1935, the seat of government of the sub-province of Ifugao was transferred to Lagawe, leaving Burnay a barrio. With the transfer of the capital town, Marcos Manghi held the distinction as the first appointed mayor of Lagawe. He held the office from 1936-1939. Manghi was succeeded by Emiliano Dulnuan from 1939 until the outbreak of World War II in 1941.
During the Japanese Occupation, Morris Baywong was appointed mayor of Lagawe from 1941-1943. Baywong was relieved by the appointment of Joaquin Dugyon, Sr. who served from 1943-1946.
The first elected mayor of Lagawe after World War II was Nicolas Liangna. Liangna was elected by color system serving as mayor from 1946-1951.
The first formal election in Lagawe took place in 1951. Winning the election was Damiano Belingon who served as mayor from 1951 to 1953. Since then, the succeeding mayors were as follows: Gomez Dinamling (1953-1956), Carlos Luglug (1956-1963), Francisco Uyami (1963-1967), Teodoro Hiyadan (1967-1972), Vicente Lunag (1972-1980), Napoleon Hangdaan (1980-1987), Rosario Moreno (OIC, 1988), Sixto Tayaban (OIC, 1988), Joaquin Dugyon, Jr. (1988-1995), Martin Gano (OIC, 1995), Martin Habawel (1995-1998) and Joaquin Dugyon, Jr. (1998 to 2001).
Burnay municipal district was renamed Lagawe municipality on June 18,1963 under Republic Act No. 3380. Lagawe became a regular municipality on June 25,1963 under Executive Order No. 42.
Originally, Lagawe had 24 barangays. With the creation of the municipality of Hingyon in 1982, eight barangays of Lagawe became part of the new municipality. Moreover, Poblacion was divided into four barangays per Sangguniang Panlalawigan Resolution No. 61 s. 1989 as approved in a plebiscite held on June 3, 1990. At present, the municipality has 20 barangays, namely: Abinuan, Banga, Boliwong, Burnay, Buyabuyan, Caba, Cudog, Dulao, Jucbong, Luta, Montabiong, Olilicon, Poblacion East, Poblacion North, Poblacion South, Poblacion West, Ponghal, Pullaan, Tungngod and Tupaya.
* - 2010 NSO Census of Population
Based on the 1995 Census of Population, Lagawe has a total population of 14,898, a total household of 2,847 with an average household size of 5.22 and a population growth rate of 3.44.
The early residents of Lagawe spoke “Ngiloh”, a dialect similar to the one being spoken by the present people of Amduntog. However, due to intermarriages with the residents of Burnay and Boliwong, the people came to speak the “Tuwali” dialect, the dominant dialect until the present time.
Tourist Attractions and Places of Interest
- Bintakan Cave
- Nah-toban Cave
By: DILG-CAR, Copyright 1999
Vol. I - Local Government Units